Grants & Scholarships
Empowering women through grants & scholarships for education, technology, & public affairs, and by supporting women in transition in the community.
CURRENT SCHOLARSHIP OPPORTUNITIES
$1500 Jane M. Klausman Women in Business Scholarship
The Zonta Foundation for Women awarded the first Jane M. Klausman Women in Business Scholarships in 1998 to women pursuing degrees in business leading to a business management career. Jane M. Klausman was a member of the Zonta Club of Syracuse, New York, USA, and the 1990-1995 Zonta International Parliamentarian. During her career, Ms. Klausman was a professional secretary, parliamentarian and entrepreneur.
Jane M. Klausman Women in Business Scholarships are awarded to women undertaking business studies who have demonstrated outstanding potential in the field. Zonta International offers up to 37 international scholarships of US$5,000 each. Any woman undertaking a business program at an accredited university/college/institute, including online students, in at least the second year of an undergraduate program through the final year of a master’s program at the time the application is submitted to the local Zonta club, is eligible to apply. The Scholarship may be used at any university, college or institute offering accredited courses and degrees.
SEND APPLICATIONS TO: BillingsZontaScholarships@gmail.com
APPLICATION DEADLINE: JULY 20
Download Application HERE
Who is Eligible?
Women of any age, pursuing a business program with major field of specialization in accounting, economics, finance, business management, business technology, information technology, marketing, operations management, human resources management, international business, or entrepreneurship at an accredited university/college/institute, who demonstrate outstanding potential in the field and are living or studying in a Zonta district/region, are eligible. Online students are also eligible to apply if enrolled at an accredited university/college/institute.
Students must be enrolled in at least the second year of an undergraduate program through the final year of a master’s program at the time the application is submitted to the local Zonta club. Applicants must still be in school at the time the scholarship funds are disbursed and must not graduate before April 2023. Previous district and international Jane M. Klausman Women in Business Scholarship recipients may not apply to renew the Scholarship for a second year.
Classified members (club members and individuals with direct membership with Zonta International) and employees of Zonta International and Zonta Foundation for Women, and their family members (ancestors, descendants, adoptees, siblings, nieces or cousins, and those of their spouse or co-habiting partner), are not eligible. Golden Z club members are eligible to apply.
Note that applicants from geographic areas within a Zonta district/region where no clubs are located will be considered and are eligible to apply for the international scholarships via a Zonta district/region.
1. Undertaking a business and/or business-related program at an accredited university/college/institute.
2. Enrolled in at least the second year of an undergraduate program through the final year of a Master’s program at the time the application is submitted to the local Zonta club or district.
3. Attending school at the time the scholarship funds are disbursed to receive this scholarship.
4. Submit Zonta International verification of current enrollment form (see page 11 of application) with application materials. Acceptance letters are not verification of enrollment and will not be accepted.
5. Achieved an outstanding academic record during her academic studies, including business subjects.
6. Demonstrated initiative, ambition and commitment to pursuing a career in business.
How Do I Apply?
Complete an official application in English. Please note that only typed applications will be accepted and considered. Applications must include:
1. One (1) recommendation from a faculty member in the major field of study.
2. One (1) recommendation from an employer, volunteer supervisor, or academic advisor. (Members and employees of Zonta and Zonta Foundation for Women are not eligible to write recommendation letters for applicants.)
3. Essay of 500 words or less that clearly describes your academic and professional goals, the relevance of your program to the business field, demonstrates your initiative, ambition and commitment to pursuing a career in business, and defines how the Jane M. Klausman Women in Business Scholarship will assist you in reaching your goals. (Essays exceeding 500 words will not be considered.)
4. Zonta International verification of current enrollment form signed by the university/college/institute registrar (see page 11 of application). Acceptance letters are not verification of enrollment and will not be accepted. Please note that students from the southern hemisphere may have limited academic records available when the application is due to the club or district/region. If further records are available later, these records may be included when the district/region forwards their nominee to Zonta International for consideration in the selection of the international Jane M. Klausman Women in Business Scholarships. Candidates for the international scholarships may be asked to submit their most recent academic results for consideration.
5. List and include official detailed transcripts of grades or equivalent records for all universities, colleges or institutes attended with an explanation of the grading system for each transcript submitted. Note: Grades for current area of studies must be included to be considered. Copies of unofficial transcripts will not be accepted.
6. Applicants from geographic areas within a Zonta district/region where no clubs are located may apply via a Zonta e-club or directly to the district/region to be eligible for the international scholarships. All application materials must be received at the Zonta club by the deadline printed on the application. If the Zonta club contact information is not printed on the application, please locate a Zonta club nearest you by using the Club Locator at http://www.zonta.org, or email your name and contact information to Zonta International Headquarters at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that applicants may not apply to more than one Zonta district.
8. Articles, pamphlets, books, curriculum vitae or other publications are not requested and will not be considered.
9. Applications that are incomplete or late due to postal delays, transmittal by third parties, or other circumstances will not be considered. Applications are accepted by email or regular mail; however, email submissions are preferred. Applications submitted by email must be signed and sent as a PDF.
What is the Application Process?
The club evaluation committee will consider applications and select the club awardee. Applications selected by Zonta clubs are sent to their respective Zonta governor/regional representative. A district/region evaluation committee selects one applicant per district/region to submit to Zonta International Headquarters. The five largest Zonta districts in terms of membership numbers may submit two applicants to Zonta International. The Zonta International Headquarters team confirms the eligibility of the applicants put forth by the districts/region and submits a recommendation to the Zonta International Board for approval.
How May I Use the Scholarship Funds?
1. The scholarship may be used for any expenses that support the achievement of a degree in business.
2. For domestic and foreign recipients studying in the United States, scholarship funds used for tuition, books, fees, supplies or required equipment for the program of study are not considered taxable income. Withholding taxes may be required on funds used for living expenses or other non-qualified expenses.
3. Recipients are not permitted to defer the Scholarship. Zonta International will consider a new application the following year, but no preferential consideration will be given to the second application.
4. Recipients may accept additional grants and scholarships from other sources.
SEND APPLICATIONS TO: BillingsZontaScholarships@gmail.com
APPLICATION DEADLINE: JULY 20
PAST / ANNUAL SCHOLARSHIPS
Hannah Hashbarger, 2021 Club Winner
Haylee Fauth, 2020 Club Winner
JANE M. KLAUSMAN
WOMEN IN BUSINESS SCHOLARSHIP
This annual scholarship is awarded to women of any age, pursuing a business program with major field of specialization in accounting, economics, finance, business management, marketing, operations management, human resources management, international business, or entrepreneurship at an accredited university/college/institute, who demonstrate outstanding potential in the field and are living or studying in a Zonta district/region.
Online students are also eligible to apply if enrolled at an accredited university/college/institute. An applicant must be in at least the second year of undergraduate studies to qualify for the award.
The Zonta Club of Billings award is $1,500. The winner advances to the District level. The District winner is awarded $2,000 and advances to International consideration. There are eight winners at the International level that receive $8,000 each.
Local club deadline is July 15th.
For additional information on JMK please visit the Zonta International site.
Kaitlin Angel, 2019 Club & District Winner
Cassidy Shaver, 2018 Club, District, and International Winner
Helena Brown, 2022 Winner
YOUNG WOMEN IN PUBLIC AFFAIRS AWARD
This award honors young women 16-19 who demonstrate a commitment to leadership in public policy, government and volunteer organizations. Applications locally are due in March/April each year.
The local club award is $1,500. The local winner is advanced to District 12 for possible selection as the District winner, an additional $1,500 award. From the District winners, ten international winners receive an additional $5,000.
Congratulations to an amazing young woman, recipient of the Zonta Club of Billings' 2022 Young Women in Public Affairs (YWPA) scholarship in the amount of $1,500. Helena is pictured here with Janet Rivera, Scholarship Administrator and Zonta Club of Billings member, Sharon Shannon.
Helena is a 2022 graduate of Billings Senior High and will be attending Lewis and Clark College this fall, where she plans to major in Political Science. With some incredible community service, an impressive scholastic record, and involvement in a plethora of school activities (including serving as Student Body VP, editor of the Bronc Express, as a member of the varsity cross county team and captain of the tennis team), Helena has proven herself to be strong, well-rounded leader with an impressive skill set beyond her years.
We have high hopes for Helena at the YWPA district level, where she will compete for an additional $1,500. District winners then move to International competition, for a chance at an additional $6,000 award. Good luck, Helena, and thank you for embodying the Zonta spirit of empowering women and girls!
Kaylee Stubbs, 2021 Winner
Photo by Annalesa Warner
Club & District Winner, 2015 & 2016
Amy Dixon, 2019 Club Winner
WOMEN IN TECHNOLOGY AWARD
Women make up about 20 percent of the workforce in the tech industry. To address this, Zonta International launched the Women in Technology Scholarship in 2019 to encourage women to pursue education, career opportunities and leadership roles in technology.
This award is now only being awarded at the international level. Apply directly at Zonta International.
ZONTA CENTENNIAL ANNIVERSARY GRANT
In honor of 100 years of ZONTA, Zonta International awarded a special one-time grant opportunity! Grants of up to $5,000 each recognized a charitable organization working to improve the lives of women and girls in our local community.